A Big Thank You
One week ago, my comics reading poll smashed past my target of 450 votes. I had set targets levels at 300, 350, 400 and 450, and it was almost a record time for the total polling. You guys all rock. However, your response went on to exceed all my expectations.
By midnight on the 28th, when the poll closed, the total voting had smashed the big goal: 1,000 votes and ended just slightly higher at 1,012 votes. A huge thank you to everybody who took the time to vote and helped make the poll such a success.
Seriously, you guys.
The novel poll had achieved a grand total of 531 votes by the time it ended. And this one almost doubled that number. There aren’t enough words to express my gratitude.
What’s even more significant is that at no time was the poll signal-boosted by the authors I had put up for it. For my February polling, almost all the authors I had tagged took the time to share the poll on their social media feeds. Not so for the comics writers. Not even one, and I had like 30 names on there.
That’s the only significant negative for the poll. And it disappoints me.
You see, from what I’ve noticed in the last 10 months, since I got back into comics and began to review them, it’s been an uphill battle to get coverage for all my articles related to comics. And I’m still at the bottom of the hill. It appears that comics writers are quite reluctant to share reviews and articles from bloggers, preferring only to do it when the source is one of the big comics news sites like Bleeding Cool, or Comic Book Resources or iFanboy.
Again, very disappointing.
Anyways, enough of that negativity.
So, without further ado, here are the top 20 graphic novels/comics that you guys voted I read this month. Yes, 20, in recognition that I got more than 1,000 votes for the poll!
- Wonder Woman Vol.1 by Allan Heinberg
- Batman: Death In The Family by Jim Starlin
- Mighty Thor Vol.1 by Matt Fraction
- G.I.Joe: Cobra Vol.2 by Mike Costa
- Power Girl: A New Beginning by Justin Gray/Jimmy Palmiotti
- Fables Vol.2: Animal Farm by Bill Willingham
- Locke & Key Vol.1: Welcome to Lovecraft by Joe Hill
- Archer and Armstrong Vol.1 by Fred van Lente
- Batman: Knightfall by Various
- Fairest Vol.1 by Bill Willingham
- Venom Vol.1 by Rick Remender
- Grimm Fairy Tales: Myths and Legends by Raven Gregory
- The Last Phantom Vol.1 by Scott Beatty
- Wolverine Vol. 1 by Greg Rucka
- Captain America Vol.1 by Ed Brubaker
- Daredevil Vol.1 by Mark Waid
- Witchblade: Demon Reborn by Andy Parks
- Green Lantern: Sinestro Corps War by Various
- DC Universe: Blackest Night by Geoff Johns
- Birds of Prey Vol.2: Sensei and Student by Gail Simone
Once again, a huge thank you to all of you! Keep on rocking, folks! The next poll, as promised, will be for May, and will go up in the middle of April. That should give me time to move through my pile of ARCs and read all these damn fine books!
Posted on March 2, 2013, in 2013 Reading Challenge, Book Lists, Comps and tagged 2013 Reading Challenge, A New Beginning, Allan Heinberg, Andy Parks, Animal Farm, Archer and Armstrong, Batman, Bill Willingham, Birds of Prey, Blackest Night, Book Lists, Captain America, Cobra, Comics, Daredevil, DC Universe, Demon Reborn, Ed Brubaker, Fables, Fairest, Fred van Lente, G.I.Joe, Gail Simone, Geoff Johns, Green Lantern, Greg Rucka, Grimm Fairy Tales, Jim Starlin, Joe Hill, Locke & Key, Mark Waid, Matt Fraction, Mighty Thor, Mike Costa, Myths and Legends, Poll, Power Girl, Raven Gregory, Reading List, Rick Remender, Scott Beatty, Sensei and Student, Sinestro Corps War, The Last Phantom, Venom, Welcome to Lovecraft, Winter Soldier, Witchblade, Wolverine, Wonder Woman. Bookmark the permalink. 4 Comments.